When the time comes to retire, it would be nice to feel confident that your life after work will be comfortable and that you’ll have the time and money to enjoy many things you weren’t able to do while working.
The Age Pension provides only a very basic retirement allowance that most people would find difficult to manage on. This is why it is so important to take control and set yourself up for your future now, by making regular personal contributions to your superannuation fund.
Potential tax advantages
The Australian Government offers powerful tax incentives to encourage us to save for retirement throughout our working lives. For example:
- Some super contributions are taxed at concessional rates
- There is no limit to how much money you can accumulate in super over your working life, but contribution caps apply to limit the amount that can be contributed tax-effectively
- When you reach age 60 any withdrawals you’re eligible to make from your super savings are tax-free.*
*applies to taxed funds only, ie. does not apply to untaxed funds such as the Commonwealth Super Scheme.
About super contributions
- If you’re an employee, your employer must, by law, contribute a minimum percentage of your wages (usually 9.5% and this will increase gradually to 12% pa) into a complying super fund (including self-managed super funds) on your behalf. Some employers contribute more, and some employees add more to their super fund by arranging with their employer to have a proportion of their pre-tax salary put into super. This is known as ‘salary sacrifice’. You can also make personal super contributions from after-tax money.
- If you’re self-employed, you can make personal deductible contributions to your super fund. Please note conditions apply.
How much super is enough?
To calculate how much super you’ll need in retirement, you will need to know:
- Your estimated life expectancy
- How much annual income you want to receive in retirement
- How much super you’ll need to produce that level of income.
A professional financial adviser can help you answer these questions, explain the various options available to you, and provide advice on the best strategy for your situation.
At UNIQUE WEALTH PTY LTD, we can provide advice on the most effective way to build your super balance and achieve your retirement goals within your time frame.
The sooner the better
Super is one of the most tax-effective investments available. Because it is by nature a long-term investment, the sooner you start to contribute to it the more time your money will have to grow. Over time you’ll earn interest on your interest, as well as on your regular contributions. The same rule that applies to investments also applies to super – regular investing is the key to steady growth.
To find out how to maximise your potential returns from super, call 08 6201 7992 or email us.
Smart superannuation strategies can help you set yourself up for a great retirement
There are a number of strategies that can help you maximise your super savings. The following case studies provide just two examples.